Easy Heart Healthy Chicken Recipes
It seems like I am constantly on the go. Especially this time of year! My daughter plays on two travel hockey teams, so we stay pretty busy. I have started incorporating the air fryer a lot. It allows me to prep a meal, and then focus on another task relatively quickly. Having a handful of quick and easy heart healthy chicken recipes up my sleeve means that I can create a delicious and nutritious dinner without spending a lot of time.
I think one of the things I like most about the air fryer is that everything doesn’t have to be a sloppy wet stew. Sometimes a slow cooker meal really hits the spot. Like, on a cold Winter’s day nothing is better than a beef burgundy. But, damn near everything you cook in a crockpot has the same texture. Air fryers are more like ovens, and you can get a really nice meal in under an hour.
For this air fryer chicken recipe to cook properly, you want to make sure that you cut all the chicken pieces to roughly the same size. You also wan to make sure that the pieces are not too big. This is critical to getting an even doneness of vegetables and chicken. If the pieces are too big, you’ll over cook the vegetables to get the chicken done.
On another note, we’ve been eating a lot of Mediterranean inspired dishes. I feel like the style of cooking you see in the Mediterranean diet is a very heart healthy alternative to Keto, vegan, and low carb methods I see being touted by the health and wellness industry. The Mediterranean method of cooking brings a lot of healthy heart foods to the table. You get lot’s of heart healthy fats, like olives, olive oil, avocado, and cold water fish. You get a lot of fiber from fresh vegetables, beans, and lentils. Plus, there is the benefit of eating mostly chicken and fish, with little red meat or pork. As a family. we have really taken to this style of eating…even the kid!
This heart healthy air fryer recipe is easy to make, and very delicious. I know it’s going to be as big a family favorite at your house as it is mine.
Easy Greek Style Air Fryer ChickenDifficulty: Easy
Easy and heart healthy Greek inspired chicken. This simple and delicious air fryer recipe will be a family favorite. Feel free to experiment with different vegetable options.
1 1/2 to 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
1/2 cup fresh (not canned) French green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/4 fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 lemon, for juice
- Cut the chicken thighs up into about 1 inch pieces. I like to slice the thighs into 1 inch strips, and then turn them sideways and cut squares. This even shape ensures that all the chicken will cook evenly.
- Combine the chicken and chopped veggies into a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, Greek seasoning, and garlic powder. Add salt & pepper to your preference. I like to leave this step up to you, as some readers are on a low sodium diet.
- Mix all the ingredients well to ensure even coverage of both oil and seasonings.
- Pour everything into your air fryer basket, and cook on the roast/bake setting at 390 degrees for about 15 minutes
- Open the lid and stir the ingredients around with a plastic or wooden spoon. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Check to ensure that all of the chicken is cooked thoroughly. If it is, empty the ingredients onto a serving dish or large bowl. If not…cook for a few minutes longer until the chicken is cooked through.
- Crumble feta on top, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and add a squeeze of lemon juice to finish. I also like to add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.